Marc Newson at the Financial Times Business of Luxury Gala Reception, June 2011
20 October 1963 |
|Known for||Lockheed Lounge|
Marc Andrew Newson CBE (born 20 October 1963) is an industrial designer who works in aircraft design, product design, furniture design, jewellery, and clothing. His style uses smooth geometric lines, translucency, strength, transparency, and tends to have an absence of sharp edges.
Newson was born in Sydney, Australia, and in 1984 he graduated at the Sydney College of the Arts in Sydney, Australia studying jewellery and sculpture. In 1986 he was awarded a grant from the Australian Crafts Council and staged a first exhibition featuring the Lockheed Lounge. The following year he moved to Tokyo, where he lived and worked until he moved to Paris in 1991 where he set up a studio. He describes his 1988 Embryo Chair as "one of the first pieces where I hit upon a discernible style".
He co-founded the Ikepod watch company with Oliver Ike in 1994, leaving the company in 2012. In 1997 he moved to London, where he and business partner Benjamin de Haan set up Marc Newson Ltd though he still has a house in Paris. He is currently adjunct professor in design at Sydney College of the Arts (where he first studied sculpture and jewellery) and is the creative director for Qantas. In 2005, he was selected as one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people of the year.
His work has become amongst the highest selling in auctions. One of his three Lockheed Lounge chairs sold for $968,000 at Sotheby's in 2006, and £1,100,000 at a 2009 auction at Phillips de Pury & Company. At the 2006 Design Miami fair he produced 12 Chop Top tables, all of which sold out in 20 minutes at an estimated $170,000. In April 2015 his Lockheed Lounge chair sold at auction for £UK2.4 million ($AU4.69 million), making it the most expensive object ever sold by a living designer.
Every year he races one of his four vintage sports cars – an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini, a Ferrari and a Cisitalia, in the Italian Mille Miglia and was quoted as saying: "I'm not a motor head, I don't like the new versions of any of those cars."
Newson was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 New Year Honours for services to design.
He joined Apple Inc. in September 2014.
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Objects he has designed include:
- MN bicycles for Biomega in 1999
- Trek Art Bike for Lance Armstrong LiveStrong (2009)
- Ford 021C concept car for the Ford Motor Company in 1999
- Qantas first class lounges in Melbourne and Sydney, as well as the invitation-only Chairman’s Lounges
- Qantas International Skybed I (angled flat bed) and II (fully lie-flat bed) business class seat and Airbus A380 economy class seat, winner of the 2009 Australian International Design Award of the Year
- Cabin design for the Sky Jet (2007), an airline/rocketship (by EADS Astrium) planning to take passengers into space from 2012.
- Riva Aquariva speedboat (announced in 2010, limited edition of 22 units)
- Qantas A330 business class suite in 2013
- Qantas premium economy seat
- Lockheed Lounge (designed in 1986 shortly after he graduated from school and one of the items that established Newson as a designer)
- Chop Top table
- New range for Smeg (appliances) in 2009–2010
- Furniture for Cappellini
- Ikepod watches
- A collection of fittings and a sink for Ideal Standard in 2003
- The Zvezdochka shoe for Nike in 2004
- A Magnum Presentation Set for Dom Perignon in 2006 and 2010 Black Box
- The Dish Doctor for Magis in 1997
- The Scope series of bags for Samsonite
- The Atmos 561 and 566 clocks for Jaeger-LeCoultre
- Cookware for Tefal
- Items for Alessi
- Glass for Iittala
- Clothes for the clothing company G-Star Raw
- Timepieces for freelance companies
- Kelvin 40 concept plane as a personal project
- Pentax K-01 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (2012)
- Louis Vuitton Celebrating Monogram Backpack (2014)
- Caroma range of plumbing fixtures -
- Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch, Apple Watch Edition (2015)
- Decanter design for Hennessy's new Cognac, James Hennessy (2015)
- Montblanc M pen (2015)
- Louis Vuitton (2016)
Restaurants and events
Newson designed the Lever House Restaurant & Bar in New York in 2002 and the Canteen, also in New York, in 1999. In 2005 he designed the reception, meeting rooms, and the 6th floor of the Hotel Puerta America in Madrid, where each floor is designed by a world-renowned architect or designer.
He was selected as the artistic director for the 2011 Sydney New Year's Eve fire work display.
Marc Newson. Design tra organicità e fantascienza by Cinzia Ferrara, Milano, Lupetti, 2005. ISBN 88-8391-127-X
Newson was born in Sydney, Australia on 20 October 1963 to Paul Newson, an electrician and Carol. Carol was 19 years old when she was pregnant with Marc. She married Paul during the pregnancy, however Paul left the family soon after Marc was born. Carol moved back into her parent's house to raise Marc. Marc's father figure came in the form of his grandfather, Andrew Rolfe, and his uncle, Stephen. Newson is of Greek origins on his mother's side. His grandfather, Andrew Rolfe, is a Greek immigrant, who came to Australia in 1923 as a 16-year-old.
Newson married Charlotte Stockdale, a fashion stylist, in 2008 and they have two children.
One of Newson's best friends is Jonathan Ive of Apple Inc., whom he met in Japan. In a 2012 article in The New York Times, Ive described Newson's work.
I think Marc is fairly peerless now. Marc's forms are often imitated, but what other designers seldom imitate is his preoccupation with materials and processes. You have to start with an understanding of the material. Often your innovation is just coming up with a new way to use material.
In 2013, Ive and Newson collaborated in an auction at Sotheby's for Bono's Product Red. Over forty objects – "each of which we both like ... functional and capable of being made in volume", per Ive; "deeply personal" per Newson – were selected over two years for the auction and show to benefit The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- ^ a b c d Brown, Chip (26 January 2012). "Is There Anything Marc Newson Hasn't Designed?". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- ^ Morgan, Conway Lloyd (18 July 2003). Marc Newson. London: Thames & Hudson. pp. 25–26. ISBN 0789306476.
- ^ Design Boom 9 April 2003 Interview
- ^ a b Rawsthorn, Alice (14 January 2007). "Smooth Move". The New York Times Magazine. pp. 50–57.
- ^ Luxury Insider August 2010
- ^ Nick Statt, CNET, "Apple hires legendary designer Marc Newson ahead of 'iWatch' launch", 5 September 2014. "Ikepod, which Newson founded in 1994 and departed from two years ago"
- ^ Design Build Network 8 February 2011
- ^ Business Week15 December 2006
- ^ Bloomberg 21 December 2009
- ^ Henrietta Thompson, The Telegraph, 28 April 2015, Luxury, Newson's Lockheed Lounge breaks world auction records. Retrieved 10 May 2015
- ^ The Sydney Magazine, 4 August 2009
- ^ "No. 60009". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2011. p. 24.
- ^ New Year Honours 2012 The Daily Telegraph
- ^ Marc Newson to Join Apple’s Design Team Vanity Fair
- ^ "Photos: Inside the Qantas Chairman's Lounge". Australian Business Traveller. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- ^ Design Awards
- ^ Leaf Review, p. 52 No. 10 2011
- ^ QANTAS Airbus A330 Upgrade Fact Sheet, Qantas Airways Limited, 27 August 2013
- ^ Style and Spirits
- ^ Arthur, Jessica (19 June 2008). "Style and Spirits". JCReport.com. Archived from the original on 3 May 2009. Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- ^ Kelvin 40 concept plane
- ^ 
- ^ "Marc Newson revamps Louis Vuitton luggage in bright colours". Dezeen. 2016-07-20. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- ^ Sydney Morning Herald 1 March 2011
- ^ Greenwood, Helen (2 February 2006). "Up there for thinking". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- ^ Wallpaper
- ^ Interview with Newson and Jony Ive by Charlie Rose, Charlie Rose, 20 November 2013 (aired). Retrieved 27 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marc Newson.|
- Marc Newson Ltd. homepage
- Marc Newson at Gagosian Gallery
- Design Museum: Marc Newson
- Marc Newson – Design Dictionary Illustrated article about Marc Newson (also containing a portrait photo of him)
- G-Star Raw's official website
- KDDI au: au design project > talby
- Ikepod Watch
- Various objects designed by Marc Newson from the collection of the Powerhouse Museum